This is Durham Campaign by Visit County Durham Aim: Create a Web App to promote the County of Durham. Specifically its light festival. Objective: To have people join in all over the world. Even if they are unable to visit the County.
“Create your own virtual Lumiere – select your images, decide how you want them to appear, choose a soundtrack, then watch as your very own artwork appears on a 3D digital version of the world-famous Durham Cathedral.” http://www.virtuallumiere.com/
- Drag and drop images to light up the cathedral
- Drag the effects of images across the screen
- Then play your video and share it with your friends
Data Capture: Another important aim of the social media campaign was to capture name and email addresses from potential travelers and create a larger email address database for newsletters and promotions. Prompted via Visit England and Visit Britain -> 200 videos created in 48 hours
Aim: To gain more visitors and to show the experience of a holiday at Cornwell. Objective: Provide information about the world belly boarding championship.
Overall Success: On LinkedIn the campaign went more Viral, more people watched the videos but did not share it. It is expected that sharing was lower on LinkedIn because of the professional ambience of the network. Videos were cheaper to reach an audience than using TV ads when using social media correctly.
KEY TO SUCCESS (tips!)
- 12 month editorial program
- Design your video to be part of your marketing activity
- Plan the stories and release around them
- Co-branding appears in more than one place
- Host the content on YouTube
- People are hungry for just pure content. This is advertising but its given as ‘content’.
- People stopped sharing the videos when we incorporated ads in the end!
- Always suggest your Bloggers what they should write on Facebook and other social media. Tell them to interact with their audience with the story because it creates heaps of comments and likes.
- The bloggers often created a post on their own blogs and took the opportunity to create all kinds of stuff.
- We storify.com the content so that bloggers were able to share everything easier and pick out their favorite content.
- In the end we achieved 151 web referrals. Which means they have requested the brochures by mail.
- The campaign created heaps of impressions on Twitter (of course this does not always make a campaign a success but the overall results were good).
- Since the launch of the campaign the Visit Cornwell website links to over 60 videos.
Working with Bloggers and Tips from Visit Wales
Key focus was to target people who haven’t visited Wales for holiday with a flexible publishing platform.
Objective: to raise awareness of the cultural and natural highlights of five key cities in Wales among target demographics – older couples, families, and independent travelers
Secondary goals: fantastic new website, add new content to it, generate links to visit wales.com and to create buzz on social media channels.
Method: Worked with 5 bloggers and maximize the value of what you do with external partners as well.
What do you want to get from the bloggers?
It was very important to discuss prior to selecting the bloggers what we want to achieve with them. We decided that we wanted high quality direct links from their networks (websites, twitter, facebook) . And to make sure that they fit directly with our brand as in metrics and selling point.
We asked them the following after selecting a handful:
- How media savvy?
- How much traffic could they generate?
- What kind of stories are they willing to write in order to promote us.
Overall: The costs were much lower than when working with traditional coverage.